Bright and early Monday morning, we motored over to the docks at Spangereid village. Jan said he would be able to perform the First Service Inspection after lunch. While we waited, a colorful local gentleman asked if he could see our boat. We invited him on board for tea. His name was Olaf and, in heavily accented English, he told us all sorts of local lore, mostly centering around the canal. Since Viking times, a canal through Spangereid had been dreamed of as a way to avoid the treacherous waters off Lindesnes. The canal was finally dug this decade. One year ago, five queens from across Europe ceremonially opened the canal. Olaf gave details of how the town was invaded by police two weeks before the ceremony to check for bombs. (Check http://kanaler.arnholm.nu/english/norge/spangereide.html for more.)
We used the rest of the morning to take a walk along the canal and browse the local shops. I found a good fishing store, so I purchased some better tackle. Now, no fish is safe.
As promised, Jan performed the inspection around 2 pm. We passed with flying colors! Both Jan and Belinda were very gracious to fit us in to their busy schedule. You can check out their website at www.baatmothorsen.no.
We motored out of the harbor around 4 pm. Shortly, an engine alarm sounded. Checking the tachometer window, I noted a battery symbol indicating a problem with the charging system. I silenced the alarm, unfurled the sails, and shut off the engine. We sailed to Farsund, about 20 miles, in one long tack rounding Lindesnes in 15 knot westerlies, arriving around 9 pm.
After dinner, Jocelyn posted her blog entry, "Anchoring Still My Favorite" while I investigated. Using contortionist positioning, I climbed in the engine room to inspect the alternator on the far side of the engine. I noticed a small yellow wire dangling unattached. A terminal, obviously its mate, stood unoccupied nearby. I attached them. Problem solved.
I buttoned up the engine room and sat down to check the GRIB files before retiring. We still hadn't decided the best weather window for the long journey to Stavanger. To my horror, when I got up I noticed some ugly blue stains on the beautiful new upholstery of the NavStation seat cushion. While in the spotless engine room, I had brushed against some propeller drive shaft grease with my fanny. Our first spot! Jocelyn would be furious.
There was nothing for it but to confess. She took it in stride and resolved to hasten her seat cover project. We moved on.
Farsund was a quaint town with the signature white, red roofed houses so common here. Their claim to fame is that their guest harbor is free of charge. Each morning, folks hired by the town's tourist bureau deliver greetings and fresh bread to all visiting boats. We received the same treatment, even though we had berthed at the "overflow" docks around the corner from the main guest harbor, which was full, boats rafted two and three abreast.
We didn't have any time to tour the town as a weather check confirmed strong northwesterlies forecast starting tomorrow. Even though the winds today would be light, at least they would be from the right direction, so we decided to leave for Stavanger right away. We plotted our course, both on paper charts and on the Furuno, and left. Ten mostly motoring hours later, at 10:30 p.m., we anchored in Tananger harbor, next door to Stavanger, as the sun set.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment