Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Victory in Moss!

We did it. We finally unlocked our modem.

For those of you paying attention, you're well aware of the ongoing saga of the locked Telenor USB modem. This device is our lifeline to the Internet, which is our main means of acquiring weather information, not to mention connection with the outside world and source of entertainment.

We bought the modem in Frederikstad upon our arrival into Norway. We understood then that it was "locked" to the Telenor network, meaning it could only be used inside Norway. We had heard of the possibility of unlocking the modem so it could be used in other countries with country-specific SIM cards, but no one could tell us how to get this done. Some thought we would have to use surreptitious means to unlock it, akin to a back alley abortion. We would become criminals.

But that all changed when we visited Thorjus at MobilData Mandal. When asked if the modem could be unlocked, he replied "No problem!"

But there was a problem. Repeated efforts to download and run the unlocking software failed to do the trick. Repeated calls to Telenor only exacerbated the issue, with empty promises of emails with new codes and MAC compatible software the only result.

Today, knowing we would be leaving Norway soon, I made one last desperate attempt to get the job done. I took the modem to the Spaceworld store here in Moss, one of the chain of stores where we bought the modem. There, I met Tim Thogersen who set me up with a PC laptop and all the translation I needed to input the unlock code once more.

What didn't work in Mandal worked like a charm in Moss. After a few fits and starts, I entered the unlock code and crossed my fingers. When I clicked "Go," I was rewarded with the message, "Your modem has been successfully unlocked." Hallelieua!

With this hurdle crossed, we must now say goodbye to Norway. This afternoon, we added a few day's provisions and are ready to set sail once again. We've got one more Norwegian anchorage tomorrow night and then...back to Sweden.

No comments:

Post a Comment