Today's drill is to complete the Yacht Hull Insurance application form supplied by my new friend, Janet, at Pantaenius Yacht Insurance. She and I have become acquainted through a number of email and phone exchanges. Pantaenius has emerged as the front runner in my search for suitable insurance for Windleblo.
The search started a few weeks ago with word of mouth referrals from several friends and yacht brokers. I checked with Roger, my broker with Free State Yachts, Captain Brandy Bishop of the Queen of Hearts, an 80-foot Dynamique sloop I crewed from Newport to the BVI last fall, and Mark Williams, my friend and neighbor who bought a used HR in 2007. I also scanned back issues of several magazines like Cruising World, Bluewater Sailing, and Practical Sailor for ads, looked through my notes from boat show visits of the past few years, and conducted a fairly careful web search. Mark told me about Pantaenius, saying his research revealed them to be "the best." So I filled out an online application for coverage from them. Captain Bishop referred me to Atlass Insurance in Newport, so I contacted them by phone and submitted the application they sent me. Both responded with a quote, and both quotes were competitive, but in reading Pantaenius' policy, it seemed to be superior, though filled with legalese.
Having pretty much settled on Pantaenius, I called Janet whose responses gave me more assurance that they would be good to work with. To finalize the deal, I need to submit more complete application and then call when I want to "bind" the coverage.
A second small step today is to email Mats at Vindo Marine on Ellos to secure space at their yard for storage of Windleblo next winter. More on this later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment