Sunday, February 8, 2009

First Planning Meeting

Jocelyn and I had our first real planning meeting about two weeks ago. Before this meeting, our plans were kinda' independent and haphazard. Now we have a written plan of sorts. It's mostly about preparation steps, which we arrayed into a prioritized spreadsheet. It includes all sorts of things in categories ranging from what to buy here and bring to Sweden to high priority steps to get the house ready before we leave. Some of the things are obvious, like making sure to pack our PFDs, but others not so, like making copies of all prescriptions to bring on board.

As one example, I've begun searching for boat insurance. To get started, I asked my Hallberg-Rassy broker for a referral to an insurance broker or two that they know. I also asked my neighbor, Mark Williams, a fellow HR owner, for his suggestions. Finally, I asked Brandy Bishop, the captain of the Queen of Hearts, an 80-foot Dynamique sloop that I crewed on during a November 2008 delivery run from Newport to Tortola, for a recommendation. I contacted most the brokers these folks referred me to and got mixed results. At this point, I've completed several application forms and submitted them with a sailing resume and 2009-2010 cruising plan. So far, the only quote I've received is from Atlass Insurance, the firm Brandy referred me to. I am awaiting a second quote from Pantaenius, the firm Mark recommended. I have not heard back from the insurance broker suggested by my HR broker. In a conversation with the Atlass broker, the issue of the level of sailing experience desired by insurers of those planning an ocean passage came up. Apparently, the insurers want a crew of at least three for a lengthy ocean passage, and the more experienced the captain and crew are, the better. He said I would need to submit crew credentials for the 2010 Atlantic Rally for Cruisers crossing with my May 2010 insurance renewal application, so I have until then to select my crew and get firm commitments from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment